Tuesday, August 28, 2012

What I See When You (Don't) Say "Mississippi"


What I See When You (Don’t) Say “Mississippi”

 
So, now we are the “landmass”? 
Perhaps you should use your eyes as much as your voice…
 

You say we are ignorant.
I see a people who have produced the most profound literary voices of the past century.
Where’s your Faulkner?
 

You say we are mired in poverty.
I see a people who are poor, but they still manage to give more to charity than most other states.
How’s your record?

 

You say we are lazy.
I see a people who have worked together to rebuild after Katrina’s devastation.
Where were you?

 

You say we are backward.
I see a people who embody what it means to move forward.
Which direction are you going?

 

You say we are a hotbed of racism and hate.
I see a people who have spent the past generations rising up, changing what was to what can be.
No, we haven’t arrived, but I can’t help but wonder…
Have you?

 
You say we don’t matter.  We’re a landmass.
I see Mississippi, and I stand proud.
Who are you?

 

No comments: